State and local governments are covered employers under the Americans with Disabilities Act regardless of how many employees they have. State and local governments are required to provide equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Below are publications and resources to help state and local government employers understand their rights and responsibilities and maximize the potential of their workforce.
- Employers’ Practical Guide to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- The ADA: Your Responsibilities as an Employer
It’s All about Accommodation
(information on reasonable accommodation and how to do it)
- Cornell University Accommodations for Specific Disabilities
- Job Accommodations Network (JAN) Searchable Online Accommodation Resource
- Job Accommodations Network (JAN)
Get on Board!
(why and how to recruit, hire, and retain workers with disabilities)
- Final Report on Best Practices For the Employment of People with Disabilities In State Government
- Employer Assistance and Resource Network (EARN)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM): Disability Employment Resource Page
More Good Stuff
(organizations, general resources, materials collections, etc.)